Flo-Coat® is the superior method of galvanizing steel tubing. It begins with flat strip steel, which is then cold-formed and electric-resistance or induction welded. After welding, the tube receives a triple layer of protection-zinc, conversion coating, and a clear polymer top-coat – all applied in-line to assure a uniform coating. The result is a smooth, shiny end product appearance that is unmatched in terms of strength and durability.
Flo-Coat® tubing exhibits greater corrosion resistance because of the synergism created between the coatings; the conversion coating passivates the zinc to slow down the white rust growth process, and the clear top-coat then “seals in” the protection.
The triple coat corrosion provided by Allied’s in-line manufacturing processes has never been equaled. This triple-layer protection (zinc, conversion coating, and clear organic polymer) provides a smooth, shiny product appearance that is unmatched in terms of strength and durability.
The Allied Flo-Coat® Process Inherent Advantages…
- The cold-forming and quenching process creates greater yield and tensile strength than competitive product alternatives.
- The tube is welded prior to the application of coating; thus the weld area is as protected from corrosion as the rest of the tube body.
- Flo-Coat® tubing exhibits greater corrosion resistance because of the synergism created between the coatings; the conversion coating passivates the zinc to slow down the white rust growth process, and the clear top-coat then “seals in” the protection.
- The clear third coating also acts as a primer for painting or powder coating. Extensive pre-cleaning is unnecessary, and excellent adhesion is achieved, even at high baking temperatures.
- Powder coating over Allied’s galvanized substrate provides substantial corrosion resistance superiority over powder coating a raw/uncoated substrate. Powder coating over a galvanized surface provides corrosion protection 5-6 times longer than the same over a raw or bare surface.
- Welding Flo-Coat® is easily done in the exact same manner as welding bare steel. Allied’s zinc coating contains the lowest lead content achievable (99.9% pure zinc, average 13 ppm), so lead oxide fumes generated during welding are kept to an absolute minimum. Hot-dip galvanized products usually contain up to .5% lead (5000 ppm).
- Allied’s galvanized products can be easily fabricated…bent, swaged, wall-to-wall flattened…without deformation of the triple layer of protection. Competitive products tend to flake and chip during fabrication.
Looking for more on the Flo-Coat® process? Contact one of our Sonco Tube professionals who are standing by to provide additional information or to provide a free quotation for your next tubing project.